84 Champion 17.6 Gelcoat rejuvination

Fish_hook

I'm the third owner and have had this boat since '91. The previous owner had refinished the cap and interior with a two part clear coat.
Well after some years it was starting to get dull and flake off in places. I've had the boat in storage for 5 years now and the finish was falling apart and supper ugly.
I did some searches and found a few copolymer treatments. I chose Vertglass. This is not to be a cure all but the gel coat had been sanded once before and I did not believe buffing would be the answer. After a few weeks of carefully wet sanding off the old coating (down to 1500 grit) I was ready to wash and apply the finish. It took 2 coats to bring back a shine and the instructions say to apply 4 more, I did 5 for a total of 7 which only took a couple of hours. They say I will have to apply 2 more coats each year (an hours work) as it starts to weather but won't need to wax. I also recieved the remover which is used with a 3M white pad to be used, if and when any of it needs to come off.
I really am impressed with the results. Time will tell how it stands up. Take a look at these before and after picts. What do you think?

Attachments