86 XP200 VRO Fuel Delivery Problem

Allyda

I loooove to fish and light the water on fire!!
OK guys now that I have enough finished on my boat to take her out I've tried two weekends in a row and didn't even get to throw a line in.:eek: Here is some background on my motor:
Its a 1986 Rude XP200 Looper VRO -VRO was unhooked by previous owners mechanic who installed a new powerhead after original blew (not sure on why). Powerhead blowing was blamed on VRO so when new powerhead was installed VRO was unhooked and oil tank removed

The symptoms:
1st trip out in 9 months last sunday the 20th, after 2 good speed runs went to dock to change out HPD for one of my 4 blades to fish. Motor started immediately but would stall when ya put it in gear and gave it the gas. Long story short I had to idle back to ramp pushing choke in every 10-15 seconds to keep it running. Found cracked fuel delivery hose to #5 carb that had a slow leak. Over the week replaced all fuel feed lines to carbs. Checked - no more leaks when pumping primer bulb tight.

2nd trip out today, got to the ramp and motor wouldn't start at all. Pulled all plugs after cranking while choked. Plugs are dry as a bone. not even wet. Had good spark on all. and I can pump carbs full of fuel but plugs still dry.

My experience with outboards OMC's and Merc's in particular tells me I have a bad fuel pump. But back when I was a certified Marine mechanic the VRO was just comming out as I was leaving for the Air Force so I never got much experience with the VRO fuel/oil pumps.:wallbash:

I have no problem with premixing my fuel/oil mixture and unless necessary do not intend to re-install VRO. I've heard you can buy a kit to rebuild just my fuel pump and air pulse motor that drives it. Would I be better doing that, or purchasing an older fuel pump or fuel pumps, off an X-Flow V6 without a VRO?:drunk:

Could it be something else other than my fuel pump? I just before 1st trip installed a new spin on fuel filter water separator and all the 3/8 & 5/16 fuel lines from the tank to the separator to the motor, and up under the cowling to the fuel pump have been replace as is now the individual hoses going to each carb all w/high quality clamps.

I currently have fuel pump off as it seems like the most likely culprit. But I'd like to be sure before spending any $$. I was going to disassemble it tomorrow to look for the smoking gun or, a rupyure somewhere. I've come to depend on you guys's suggestions, recommendations, and opinions.

I thank all of you in advance for any help you can give.:cheers: