CO River outing 2-28-11

Madbasser

Ok, i put it here cause its technically out of state were i fished. So here we go.

OK so i went to Vegas for my birthday this weekend and fished Lake Mead. This is how it all shook out.
Me and my wife arrived on Sat and shot straight to the water. When i think of Lake Mead and fishing the River in general i think of flipping, LOTS of it. So that's what i did ALL day. Found bunches of grass and reeds and brush piles and went to town. Man swinging that 8.5' flipping stick all day with everything from 3/8 to 1.5oz jigs and no fish can leave u sore and mentally battered.
Check it late Sat and went straight to sleep.

Sun woke up and went cursing down the river cause i was at a loss from the day before. As we were running down the lake i thought about the day i had at Parris and said "well if they have started to spawn at home why not here." I know of a huge spawning flat i had fished two years ago, so there we went. I rigged up some shakey heads with the drop shot worms i got from Smith HPB's and a texas rigged zoom 4' lizard. Threw out the shakey head and BAMMMM a nice smallie smashed it!!! WooHoo we're in business i told my wife. Those drop shot worms killed them. My only regret is i only had 4!!!! Thanks a bunch SHPB's, gotta stock up for the next trip. Caught some on the lizard (the ones that would not hit the shakey head). Once i ran out of worms i went to a wacky senko. Smallies are soooooo fun. Biggest one i caught was a 5lber. That's huge for a smallie. Ended up with 30+ between the both of us.

The next day we decided to pack-up and check out of the room. Head down river to Lake Mojave that way we would be closer home and the fish wouldn't reach the spawning grounds till later anyway's. Looked at the map and found a good spot that looked similar to the spot we had hit the day before. Well the River throws us another curve ball. Hit the spot and it was DEAD!!!!. So we hit some channle bends next to secondary points in about 20-30' of water with some grass or some sort of cover and threw some spinner baits and deep cranks. Sure enough hit some nice LMB. Only ended up with 6 between the both of us but at least not a skunker!!

Over all a sweet birthday for sure.
here are some pics.

Enlarge this imageReduce this image Click to see fullsize

Here is a good size smallie on a SHPB's purple drop shot worm.

Here's one on a senko.

Can u see the bottom? Sounder was reading 27'!!!!! That my friends is what u call "Gin Clear" water.