Everglades Holiday Park 06-09-2011

R

Revenant

The water is low. Really low. The airboat tours weren't even able to go on the flats areas because there are no flats anymore. Just muck fields that are drying quickly. The whole area reeks of decay. I've never seen it like this and tomorrow will probably be my last day fishing until it rains because...

There are boulders out there that aren't marked and I found them. Thankfully nothing but scrapes and gouges on my lower unit, but it scared the hell out of me. So far anyway. Well see if there is any surprises tomorrow. I had to trim up the main and use the trolling motor to get out of the area.

That was at the mouth of the north canal from Holiday, where it meets the L-68 near 4 corners. DON'T go down there. Don't take the central canal past the L-68. Stay in the L-68, L-67, and Sawgrass canals.

As for the fishing, it was very windy and overcast. Actually my favorite type of day to fish. We got a few small bass on frogs and flukes on the L68 just south of the Sawgrass Expressway. We then went to the north end of the expressway, and picked up about a dozen good Bass using a combination of flipping a red ring worm into the pads, and running a green and chartruse LazerEye gold blade spinner bait along the pad lines. Biggest fish of the day were on the spinner bait.

...and I saw an Otter. Which was neat.

Good day for fishing. Bad day for boating. I'm going to give it one more go tomorrow. Be careful out there. There are giants in the canyons....