Fire in the Hole

Nichor02

Senior Fisheman
Boat
Polar Craft
Have ya ever been going across the lake and have smoke start boiling out from under your rear compartment? In 90, when I had my first bass boat, my little brother and I were out fishing one day, and while going across the water this happened to me. I was in about 20 ft. of water, and my flasher went from 20 to 2 in a split second. Of course, I came to a stop rather quickly. But then smoke started boiling out of the battery compartment. So I'm jumping out of my seat and scrambling to get back there, (knowing that is also where the gas tank is located), and my brother's doing the same. We snatch the lid open, and the smoke is coming from my batteries. I jerk them up straight to find out not only were they not bolted down, but they flipped over on my tilt and trim unit, and melted all the wires off of my tilt and trim unit. Melted the post almost completely off one side of my battery. So we got the fire, or should I say melting pot seperated. Then I look at my brother and say, this is not good. But, for some unforseen reason, I had a whole roll of heavy guage wire in the boat. He quickly takes everything apart and sits there and rewired the tilt and trim unit. After that, we had a great day of fishing. I just wondered had anybody had anything similar happen to them.