How do you know a old fiberglass boat is safe?

rangerman

I have a 1961 Crestliner ski boat that has been in the family for over 30 years. I've been thinking about making it a fishing rig. I don't want to put a lot of money in to it (especially just yet until I see if its safe) and it'll probably just be used as a river boat. I own a vacation home on a river that I trout fish on and I'd like to keep it there for when I don't really feel like towing my bass boat back and forth to the vacation home from my house. I was thinking about mounting some swivel seats on the back and clamp a hand control trolling motor to the back beside the outboard because the front is a fiberglass top (like a car hood in front of its windshield) so no need in trying to make a front casting deck. Besides, I don't want to get a lot of work in to it. I have a spare, good running outboard in my garage that would be perfect for it. But first, I'm wondering if it might be unsafe. It is in phenomenal shape for its age as all the original parts are still there etc. My uncle owned it before my dad and both took extra good care of the boat. My dad hasn't had it on the water since 1989 and it has been setting in a barn every since with a cover on it.

Anyways, my main question is, do you think its safe? What are some ways I can tell if it is? Other than putting it in the water to see if it floats, I was wondering if you guys have any tips on inspecting it to tell whether or not it may have rotten wooden stringers or water logged foam.