Little bit of Lake Eufaula Alabama History!

Boat
1998 HydraSports Z270
A Little Bit of history on Lake Eufaula, Alabama, (Walter F. George)

Over the last few years, something that I never paid attention to in High School has begun to take on a new interest for me and that would be history. History has become a new found interest but also in a new area. So I thought I would put that interest to what I hope is a real good use. I thought I would share some Lake History of some of Alabama’s greatest bodies of water. Now I know that this is for the most part a fishing forum more so than a “History” forum but in reality though, every time you go fishing you have a little history you have collected. That is the reason you have all those Lunkers swimming through you files banks, along with who was there with you on that date in time. Some of you even write detailed “fishing notes” on every trip so that tells me you love and rely on history at least to some degree. All that being said, lets deal with a bit of history!

Lake Eufaula will be the start of the research for me as I have only fished it twice in my life and those trips produced some great memories and thus some great history. I am sure that anyone who has ever been blessed to fish there has like memories and would like to go back.

While I was thinking about this, some old memories of articles from Bass Master Magazine popped up in my thinking. B.A.S.S. was just getting underway real good and the Tournament Fishing on a professional level was about to explode and did with the results of tournaments on Lakes such as Lake Eufaula Alabama. I was stunned at the poundage being weighed in at those three day tournaments. Case in point:

The Lake Eufaula Invitational June 20 through 22nd 1968:
John Powell wins with a three day weigh in of 132.2! That’s right guys, 132 lbs plus of Largemouth Bass to win and tournament and all the way through 11th place had at least sixty plus pounds. Oh, by the way, the first place check was $2000.00! A dollar bill would go a lot further back in those days though.

Here is a comparison to our day: In 1968 the State Limit was 15 Bass per day so that tells you the Tournament Limit was the same with a possible 45 Bass total weigh-in for the three days! Now days the Tournament weigh-in limit is 15 Bass with the daily limit of 5 Bass. Limits are down and prize money is far beyond the early days. Case in point:

Tournaments on Lake Eufaula as recent as April of 2011 posted a three day, 15 Bass limit with total weight of 55 lbs, 15 ounces and a first place check of $34,090 accompanied by a 198VX Ranger loaded with a 200 Evinrude or Mercury Outboard. I must come clean and tell you that not all those fish were Lake Eufaula fish as the winner locked through to Seminole during two of the three days. Even 2nd place had 44+ pounds and a check of $11,688! By the way, that is some of the results of the EverStart Series, Southeast Division. My point is that Lake Eufaula Alabama is still to this day producing very good fish and very good numbers of good fish.

Lake Eufaula Alabama has some incredible History
The History of the lake goes all the way back to 1963 with the construction of Walter F. George Dam. Of course with the construction of the Dam, began the flood control, power production, and navigation capabilities that just opened up a world of options for boating and shipping! Now I personally have never been through those locks but it is the second highest drop east of the Mississippi River so it is quite the engineering accomplishment!

The water source of the lake is the Chattahoochee River, which of course flows through West Point Lake to the North. Several big feeder creeks help out with those being Chewalla, Barbour, Grass, Cowikee, White Oak and Pataula creeks. Depending upon what sources you check out you will find a consistent surface acreage of 45,180 and at a level of 190.0 MSL with a maximum depth of 40+ feet at normal or full pool. From North to South the Lake is in the neighbor hood of 85 to 88 miles in length. This is big water folks.

Navigation on Eufaula is taken care of by the Corp of Engineers and is extremely helpful and you really need to run the markers. I got in a boat with a guy back in the late 60’s with a guy who knew less than I did about the lake and knew nothing about Channel Markers. I told him, “I don’t want to tell you how to run the boat my friend but you are in the middle of submerged standing timber and you are going to hit something real soon if we don’t get back toward the channel” but I was to late. It is a wonder we didn’t loose the lower unit, prop or transom all at the same time. That is history that is engrained in my memory banks. With that bit of information, if you have never been on Lake Eufaula, or any other big body of water, don’t leave the ramp without a guide (Professional or Friend) or at the least a really good topo map. The topo map is a fish finder and life saver on the water all at the same time if you know what I mean. It is a source of locating good fish hangouts and keeps you safe while under power.

There is 640 Miles of shoreline if you are a bank fisherman and if you love structure fishing, Lake Eufaula Alabama has all you can handle! It is River Channel, Creek Channel, Ledges, Submerged Points a half mile out in the lake and the bottom has rocks, timber, gravel and just a structure fisherman’s Heaven.

While you are out there having all that fun, please remember something really important, Lake Eufaula is a border or boundary lake. That means that your fishing license best be real current because you can have Game Officials from both Alabama and Georgia check you out on the same day. Should you decide you are going to fish from the bank, your license must be issued from the State on whose bank you stand for it to be valid.

One other bit of information for you and maybe it is just a “Gee Whiz” bit of information for you but it is related to the “Walter F. George” identity associated with the Lake. Remember that construction on the Walter F. George Dam began in 1963. The location of the Dam is near Fort Gaines Georgia which is just a short 2 miles away! Walter F. George was a United States Senator from 1922 until he died in 1957. In 1958 Senator George was honored for his excellent public service and influence in both foreign and state side economic policy by having the “Lake Eufaula/Walter F. George” project named after him.

Both Alabama and Georgia continue to benefit from this great body of water. Let’s hope it is here for generations to continue to enjoy. That being said, please note, the current legal size limit on Largemouth Bass is 14 inches. The limit was shortened on November 1, 2000!

The lake has some incredible history and I am going to continue to research it and share it with you as long as I can come across what I believe will be valuable and or at least interesting information. It is all history whether it is from the 60’s or even more recent. I can only imagine what was going on in the minds of John Powell, Bill Dance, Jimmy Houston, as they fished that June 20 – 22 1968 on and incredible body of water and became part of Lake Eufaula Alabama Fishing History. By the way folks, Dance weighed 77 lbs of Bass and still didn't win.

Take Care Y’all
Good fishing to you folks!