kipp

Boating Moderator
Staff member
BBM Staff Member
Community Supporter
Boat
2007 Triton Tr 186..Alumacraft 146 NCS
Why Triton? Why now?
But since the recession began, Brunswick has shed several brands in an effort to boost its bottom line. Triton's problem was overcapacity at its plant because the market was down 60 percent, Bentz says.
"If we had stayed here under this roof, with no more volume than was coming through this plant, we would've been looking at price increases in the 15 to 18 percent range," he says. "That wouldn't have allowed dealers to be competitive in the marketplace. Doing what we're doing ensures we can keep dealers competitive."
The problem Triton faced is a familiar one in manufacturing these days, Bentz says.
"We built these gigantic facilities when things were good. Now there's only so much you can do to cut expenses," Bentz says. "[The plants] are a big horse that eats lots of hay. This [new arrangement] is one way to exist in a profitable way in a down market."
Brunswick began manufacturing Trophy sportfishing boats at its Tennessee facility to offset the low demand for Triton boats during the recession, but the market continued to deteriorate and the decision did not provide the volume that was sought, Bentz says.
"The problem we've all had, and Ranger and Stratos had the same problem over there, is underutilization of facilities," Bentz says. "They're looking for more dollar and unit volume."
Adding Triton to the Flippin plant will reduce Platinum's overhead and make the entire facility more efficient, Bentz says. The Flippin facility is a good place for Triton because it has been operating for nearly 50 years and has experienced workers.
"I'm not concerned about our quality going forward," Bentz says. "Triton has the reputation of being a premier brand and will maintain that."
Logistics
The plant Triton will share with Stratos and Ranger has 500,000 square feet and sits on 140 acres of land, Bentz says. The Tennessee facility has 290,000 square feet and is on 36 acres.
"When the market does return, we'll be in a much better position to respond," Bentz says.
The Tennessee facility still makes Trophy boats and was not part of the transaction with Platinum, Bentz says. Triton will find new office space in Nashville to operate sales, customer service, marketing and product development. Payroll, human resources, invoices, accounting and manufacturing will occur at the Arkansas facility, Bentz says.
"We're coming in and giving many of our manufacturing employees the opportunity to go to Arkansas to continue building boats," says Bentz. "We've got some employees looking at houses there, others who have put their houses on the market and many who have expressed interest in being a part of it."
Amicable parting
Bentz is pleased with the way Brunswick chairman and CEO Dustan E. McCoy has dealt with Triton.
"Dusty has, I think, handled things fairly and properly for the shareholders at Brunswick, and this move to pick Platinum ensures the success of the brand, and for that I'm grateful," Bentz says. "And I'm grateful he helped make me a part of it."
Bentz says he has committed to a long-term relationship with Platinum and it has committed to him. Platinum scarcely has been heard from since it entered the marine industry, but its acquisition of Triton has turned heads.
"They've been nice and courteous in all my dealings with them," Bentz says. "Our job is to provide an excellent product for the dealers and back it up with great service. Obviously, the bottom line is to have a profitable brand for us and the dealers."
The plan is to keep Triton, Ranger and Stratos in separate dealerships, Bentz says.
"The strategy has always been, even when we were competitors, to be in separate dealerships," Bentz says. "Our goal will be not to put them all under the same roof, but that's on a market-by-market, case-by-case basis."
After 44 years in the business, founding two brands and working with two of the largest boat-owning companies in the world, Bentz seems excited to once again be driving product and marketing decisions.
"The market is down overall, but the number of fishermen has increased," he says. "I'm excited to keep this business going."

I am excited that Triton's will be available with choice of outboard.....kipp