The "Evolution Revolution": What's it About?

N

Nightmare

Stratos introduced the "new" Evolution in the 201 model in 2009. It seemed to appear after much mystery and hoopla but what did it really bring to the table? I'd been hoping to come across one of these brand new suckers in person but it never happened, so I'm going to do a little net-side eyeballin' and compare it to the '09 "standard" 201.

Starting out with specs, standard 201XL and then the EVO:

Length: 20'8" vs 20'9"
Beam: 95" vs 96"
HP: both 250
Total load cap: 1575#
Weight: both SC = 1800#, EVO DC = 1850#
Fuel: both single tank: 50 gallon
Rod lockers: 7'6" on starboard/port lockers
7'6" center, 8'0" port lockers***
***The EVO opted for swapping the center 2 storage areas with the starboard rod locker.

The 201XL locker arrangement:

The EVO locker arrangement:

The floor plan, with the exception of the rod locker rearrangement, appears identical. Oh yeah, there's a "glove box" sorta compartment added between the seats. 'Nuff said on the floor plan.

Going thru the standard equipment provides few differences in the packages. I noted that the EVO trailer has fiberglass fenders whereas the 201XL has stainless steel.

Other than a different steering wheel and seats, everything else appears pretty similar. Don't know what they did to get an extra inch of length and beam unless they mesured crooked on the EVO. Have a hard time picturing that Al Stinson designed a whole new hull for this model.

http://www.stratosboats.com/videos/video.cfm?vid=181&vfile=Stratos 201E video_flash.flv

http://www.boattest.com/oem/boat-test-oem.aspx?id=1901&lp_id=413&p=0

In the end and maybe contrary to the impressions I've expressed, my retirement goal still includes a Stratos 201. I don't know about the hype on the EVO model but maybe there's more there in person to favor it over the "standard" 201XL.

A 'protest' maybe, a 'revolution'? Not quite seein' it.

Graphics and specs courtesy of stratosboats.com, Commentary and 2-cent opinions courtesy of Nightmare.

Last edited by a moderator: