which is more useful?

gonefishing7903

New Member's Liason
Staff member
BBM Staff Member
Boat
Javelin Venom 17
ok so my big fishing purchase this year is gonna be a new graph. I havnt had a really top of the line graph ever although i try to stay up on whats out there and what is the purpose of what features ect. that being said i have decided to join the 21st centruy bassing world and move up to a DSI unit. I had decided on the lowrance mark-5x dsi greyscale unit and showed it to my wife when we were at bass pro a couple of weeks ago. after looking at it she pointed to the color unit next to it, the lowrance elite-5x DSI and said that she wanted that one instead (im so lucky my wife loves to fish too :first:, all my fishing buddies are jealous because they have never had their wives tell them to go ahead and spend the extra $100 on anything fishing related).

i do have to admit the detail on the color unit looks alot better than on the greyscale unit. now while seeing what humminbird had for about the same price and how the screen resolution measured up ect i did find on that caught my eye, the humminbird 581i HD DSI GPS/fishfinder combo. this unit retails for $299 compared to $349 on the color lowrance unit.

so my question id like some thoughts on which is better to have, the GPS capability for storing waypoints ect, or the increased resolution and target definition on the color unit? id really like to hear what you all think about it