115 elpto questions

Crazy D

I have a 1999 merc. 115 elpto .

I seen somewhere that these engines are 2+2 . 2 cyls run at idle , 4 cyls run after 2000 rpm .

Not sure if all 1999 mercs are 2+2 , but i believe mine is .

Some have said you might feel a slight bog if you run at around that 2000rpm steadily , because the engine doesn't know which to do , run 2 or 4 . I have had it stumble a little , but not my concern . If you step on it full throttle from idle thru 2000rpm , it runs perfect . Also i believe the guy i bought this boat from said it is a 2+2 engine .

I believe my engine is carbed . It looks like 4 carbs . I'm not sure though :D

Question 1 :

I buy the boat , and the guy says that he bought it new in early 2000 . In 2003 he said he had a problem with the oil injection . He said the problem was that the injection wasn't injecting enough oil . And from then on he has run pre-mix , 50 to 1 .

He shows me the oil tank and it is about half full . I started thinking about it . And wondered if the oil level would go down in the bottle over time . I get the boat home and forget about it .

3rd day out on the lake , i fish all day , and the last 1/2 hour the dash starts beeping , but only when when i take off out of the hole , then it stops . I do some searching online when i get home and find that the beeping is the engine ECM sensing an oil problem .

I remember the oil conversation i had with the previous owner , i pull the engine cowl off , and sure enough the oil bottle is almost empty . I fill the bottle up half way . Go out the next day and the beeping is gone . Problem solved . Sort of .

So i start thinking . The oil is getting injected , but i have no clue at what rate . ALSO , i am pre mixing the gas at 50 to 1 .

That means my "over all" oil to fuel ratio has to be less than 50 to 1 . (meaning the mix has more oil than it should)

So what do i have to do to solve this ?

Is there a way that a mercury technician can figure out if the oil injection is working properly , pushing the correct amount of oil ? If i need an oil pump or something , is that expensive ?

I really don't mind pre-mixng . If there was a way i could permanently stop the injection that would be fine , but will running the pre-mix gas thru the carbs cause a problem ?

I know that a 2 stroke engine can be sensitive if you change a fuel mixture ratio . My engine has been running heavily oiled for a while . If the guy was doing it since 2003 , its been heavily oiled . I will say that it runs pretty darn good right now . not really alot of smoke at all . A little at first start up , but thats it . If i fix the oil problem , will the motor sieze up cause it is used to running alot of oil thru it ?

Question 2 :

When my engine is in perfect running order :

When i turn on my ignition key , am i supposed to hear a start beep ? I hear people talking about that . I don't hear any beeps or buzzers when i turn on my key for starting .