1985 Johnson 140 Questions

~Daryl~

Ok, I did a search of the forums and found very little on this model year. This motor has sat for a few years. I'm getting around to doing a compression check 1st. I pumped most of the old fuel out of the tank, thankfully. (one mechanic told me to just put premium in it and burn the old fuel, there was quite a bit of water in the tank!!). I'm going to try to remove the tank and drain it completely and put a new locking filler neck on. (1st question) Do I need to be concerned that there might be dried up oil in the carb bowls, reeds or can I just run some kind of additive in a couple of gallons of gas through it? I thought about at least taking the carb bowls off and cleaning them but, I've never worked on an outboard. I surely don't have the funds to pay a mechanic. I am working on getting a free manual. I know it would be a good idea to check on carbon in the combustion chambers but, I'm wanting to test run the boat before it gets very cold. I'll decarbonize springtime. (2nd question) The oil line is disconnected at the vro, premix. I've read alot about updating the vro pump. Well, this vro has no wires running to it. I'm assuming the only oil warning this system has is a float switch in the oil reservoir??? (3rd question) The OMC site shows a stainless steel cup ($15) and a chrome cup ($134) for the water pump. What's the difference? (4th question) I'm assuming that this motor does not have a thermostat, temperature sending unit or water pressure sending unit, correct??? There is no temp or water pressure guage on the boat. Maybe an idiot light?