1989 Vision 280, Bass Boat setup

Hi, new to the forum, and new to this Boat, but i bought a 1989 Vision made in tennessee, it is 18' long and empty weight is 906 lbs. it has a 1991 Mercury XR2 with a 23P merc prop, it also has a 5" setback Coosa Harbor Marine manual jack plate, the boat has 5" of setback or undercut on the bottom of the hull.
i drove it for the first time last weekend and it seemed to me to take forever to get on the pad, but once it did, it seemed to run straight, with slight pull not much, the steering tab is to the left just a little, i was told by the previous owner that it would run 58 mph according to his hand held gps. , my question is, thinking of this setup, would it be better to leave the Hydro plane thing on the cavitation plate or take it off. i don't know what the engine height is set at so far, due to TS Lee has not left Huntsville yet, so i am not going to lay under the boat and measure at this point. but there is no excessive torque, just takes some time to get on the pad, once it is there it seems to run just fine, i do need a tach so i can tell what the rpms are, it will turn out to be a project boat, but fishing is my main concern. but since it is 22 years old it will take a little fixin up.
Your Thoughts / Comments ?

Mike