1990 Vision 185T Transom repair/restoration

Well, folks, first off I'm new here. But what a way to say hello. I am about to undertake what I consider to be on of my riskiest projects yet. About 6 months ago or so, I purchased a Vision bass boat. Never heard of them, reminded me of the older Ranger 300 series, and the guy dumped her off for a steal due to selling his house and needed it gone.

Looked like this the day I bought her. Trailer could use some rust repair and a little work, engine runs like a raped ape minus a recent breaking up and hesitation at WOT for more than a few minutes(which I assume to be a primer bulb, leaky fuel pump, or some other fuel restriction or air introduced into the fuel system). Solid floor, etc.

Good looking, good running rig for the price I paid, and as for it being my first "REAL" bass boat, I was damn pleased. Fished 4 tournaments, none with any success however
. Started to notice the boat was holding more and more water as time wore on. Found my jackplate had begun to pull away from the transom on the passenger top side. Bolt was actually "bent", and I replaced the mounting bolt. I do part time guide trips here in Jacksonville, FL and needed the boat up and running for a trip the next day. Replaced the bolt and I assume I tightened her down just a tad to much because by the end of the day, I ended up with this..

Luckily, this may have saved me, and potential clients from tragedy on the water as I have found my transom is near shot. After flipping through a members thread on another boating forum about his own 90 Vision 185T, I think I may be in the workings of a full on restoration. I'm a full time student, guide part time, and stay at home dad the rest so I don't have the cash to go out and pick up the rig I'd love to have. The lines on this boat, the way she rides AND fishes have stolen my heart from other bass boats I have fished in. So, with me already having a passion for rare things and taking on "larger than my britches can handle" projects, this seems like the chance to go ahead and bring this rare gem back up to standards, and hopefully as close to "showroom" as I can get it.

Many plans for the boat, and only time will tell how it pans out. As they say, Rome was not built in a day, and my Vision will be no different. After fixing the obvious structural damage that I'm sure is scattered throughout the boat (although the floor appears to be VERY solid), I will move into a complete rewire, carpet, re-upholstered seats, re-done switch panels and console face. Eventually the original Johnson 35ftlb trolling motor will find its way into a recycling yard and something better will come along. A new jackplate and hopefully a fully rebuilt Johnson gt 150hp V6 on the back.

I have had thoughts of changing the color of this boat to something a little more "sunburn" friendly, although that may be some time away. Bear with me, as this won't be a swift project. The boat heads south to Bradenton, FL in the near future to begin the work. I have no space, and an HOA that already hates me for parking her in the driveway.

Any info, input, comments, remarks, whatever you want to toss at me...I AM ALL EARS folks! :cheers: