Boat Shopping

I just recently joined BBM and cant believe how friendly and helpful everyone seems on here. I have really enjoyed reading the posts and seeing all the great fishing/boat pics. So, I was wondering what everyone’s opinion was on what I should get for my first bass boat.

Background on me:<O:p</O:p
I have been around boats and water my whole life, and have dreamed about getting a bass boat since I was a little kid. My friend purchased a new Nitro Z-7 with a 135 Merc Opti in 2008, and it only added fuel to my fire of owning a boat. In looking for my boat, the obvious thing is, I have to get something better and faster than my friends!!! I have been doing a lot of reading, and it seems like buying a new Nitro might not be the best thing to do for me, in that, they lose so much value the first year and Nitro’s are not really known for quality, so re-sale would be even less than say a Skeeter or a Triton? So I was thinking about trying to get more boat for less by going used route. I seem to like the tournament style platform boats the best, and would like to know if anyone has anything good/bad to say about a Skeeter 20i. Or, if you have suggestions about other comparable boats, and why you like it. Also if you have any suggestions about what to look out for when buying a used boat that would be great (ie: cracked transom mounts, swaying deck boards, gas smell if it’s a Triton, LOL jk). I see some boats advertised as “not tournament fished” do I really care about this? Anyone can be destructively hard on a boat right???

Requirements:<O:p</O:p
-Must fit in 23 foot garage space, maybe 25 foot with some re-arrangin
-Around $35,000 in price, some of which is going to Humminbird 1100 SI’s
-Must go fast (fast to me is currently lower 70’s)
-Fiberglass Dual Console
-Handle 2-3 foot waves, usually fish small/medium size lakes (Mozingo, Missouri)
<O:p</O:p
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: