CCW Tips

remington

Senior Fisheman
Boat
Champion 202
Everyone pretty much knows that I'm a gun super freak, cop, firearms instructor and gun nut. I've been a cop for over 10 years and CCW a gun on a daily bases. I am a firm believer in being able to defend yourself and family if the need arises. Here's some things I've learned over the years and I welcome any more sugestions:

1.) Dress around the gun not vis versa. If not you will find yourself doing "security check" on your CCW more frequently. A trained eye can spot this and it could potentially give away your position.

2.) Holsters: All holsters are NOT made alike. If you CCW do yourself a favor and invest in a good quality holster. The cheapos will get ya "killt".
Mexican carry or Gangster carry (stuck in you waistband) will get your nuts blown off. (I've seen it happen and that guys walking with a slight limp now). Once you picked a quality holster PRACTICE with it. Know how to secure, draw and resecure with one hand.

3.) Ammo: Carry a good quality expanding bullet. FMJs/Ball ammo have their place but not in a CCW gun. If your gun won’t reliably cycle them buy one that will. If you’re forced or dead set to use FMJ type ammo Federal makes a very reliable EXPANDING FMJ bullet. Detroit PD has carried them for years with pretty good success. CorBon make a PowerBall ammo that is similar to feed reliability of FMJ's. If FMJ's are all you've got its better than nothing. (Yes, I've carried them a time or two.)

4.) Spare ammo: A gun is a machine and like all machines can malfunction. Always always carry at least one full reload on your person with easy access and practice reloading. The fastest reload is a second gun but most CCWers out there only carry one.

5.) Sights: Night sights? On a CCW you really don’t need em but they're nice to have. Adjustable sights? I don’t care for em just for the snag effect but if yours has em run with it.

6.) Lasers/Flashlights: I usually don’t carry a flashlight while CCWing. I don't care for lasers at all. While a MAJOR CDI factor it takes away of basic fundamentals of marksmanship skills and its battery powered which generally die at the most critical times. They are cool tho. Both flashlights and lasers add bulk to your CCW. If you like em run with em.

7.) Back ups: My back up is a folding knife, weak side carry.

8.) Have a plan: If you CCW have a plan for you and your family of a "what if". Carry a cell phone at all times and have a speech ready for what you are going to tell dispatch when you call for help (practice this speech). Give dispatch vital information of who you are, what you’re wearing and your CCWing so the police don’t shoot you by accident. Be prepared to possibly get drawn down on by police. If this happens fully cooperate and do EVERYTHING they say until the scene is secure. Once the scene is secure: Keep your mouth closed, give them your DL and CCW permit, advise that you plan to fully cooperate but wish to enforce your Miranda Rights to SPEAK TO YOUR LAWYER prior to interview/questioning. They may push the issue but keep requesting to speak to your lawyer PRIOR to any questioning. If they keep pushing the issue tell em to pound sand you’re not talking without your lawyer. Cause let’s face it, you’re gonna get sued and there is always an investigation right or wrong.

9.) Gun condition: Locked, cocked, ready to rock doc! Some people prefer to CCW with and empty chamber and would then have to rack it in order to get into the fight. This wastes time, effort and adds and extra step. Under stress that "aint" good. If you’re that worried about it carry a revolver with the hammer down on an empty chamber. A fight for your life is measured in milliseconds. Cause while your fiddle farting with racking a round in the chamber I'm gonna put a mag in ya.

10.) CCW Guns: I left this for last because we can discuss and debate actions and calibers all day. My suggestion is that you buy what best fits your hand & for the CCW task you wish to accomplish. I've carried just about every size from full size down to the micro mouse guns & every caliber from 32 to 45 ACP. What works for me might not work for you. Pick one, function check/break it in properly and carry it.

Add all of these things together and practice them to where it becomes muscle memory. It has been said you will have to practice drawing, reloading, malfunction drills, ect ect over 1000 times before it becomes muscle memory. Case in point: How many of you made a conscious effort to walk to your car, make a focused effort to put the key in and unlock it, sit down, start the car, put it in drive, drive away, use your turn signals and break when needed? None of us do because we trained our body to do all those things over the years. CCW should be held in the same regard.

Best of luck to all of you that live in a State that allows you to CCW. If you have any questions I'm more than happy to help.