check the winch straps

I had a guy come into the shop the other day with a sheared bow eye. Yup not there... gone. I asked how the he!! did he do that. I figured he drove on the trailer too fast and lost his brakes :). Nope his winch strap busted on the way home and he hit a bad pothole on the highway and I'm guessing his rig went up over the bow roller and came down hard. Not a fun job fixing that sucka. The back side where the nuts are was glassed over and the access hole was meant for little tiny arms. Thankfully My bud that hangs around the shop has skinny arms and he was able to get in there. So my tip of the week. check that connection where the strap wraps around the hook. And use a chain safety strap attached to the trailer winch post.

backinblack
2nd In Command
2nd In Command

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:22 am Post subject: Re: check your winch strap Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
wow bullet, never heard of that one B4!!!!!! thanks for the post!

Lowrance electronics & GPS
Minnkota maxx Pro 80
bullet20dc
BBM Staff
BBM Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:45 pm Post subject: Re: check your winch strap Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
It was the cast type not the ss one. Ive seen them break a few times now by guys hitting the trailer and missing the front roller. The threaded studs shear off the casting but the winch strap is a new one for me. Just thought I'd pass it on. Takes a second to inspect it and cheap enough to replace considering the consequences if it breaks