Deer/Beef Jerky

This is one of my favorite things to make.... Deer and Beef Jerky...

I do not have a dehydrator nor do I want one....but here is some tips to make your own... its real easy.

this is what ya need.

1. 5lbs of lean Deer meat or 5lb round beef
2. Jerky cure or any jerky seasoning (you can buy at any large grocery store or outdoor store)
3. grill
4. aluminum foil
5. toothpicks
6. smoking wood, hickory, mesquite, oak
7. thermometer
8. zip lock bags
9. paper towels

steps...

1. place raw meat into freezer to stiffen up, because its easier to slice it thin when its half frozen.
2. spread them out coat both sides of meat with a generous amount of jerky cure and seasoning.
3. place in ziploc bag place it into the fridge overnight.
4. start the grill with either one burner on a far side or use 5-8 coals if using a charcoal grill... remember you are smoking/drying not cooking the meat. maintain a temp between 175-200 degs.
5. use toothpicks pierce one end of the meat and slip thru the grate so they are vertical so you can fit more on the grill.
6. place foil on top of grate above coals to protect the wood from actually catching fire.
7. place a handful (more or less if desired) of wood chips or chunks on top of the foil....DRY! dont wet them down...thus eliminating the drying effect. Only smoke for 2-3 hrs. after that its pointless and could add a bitter taste to the meat.
8. smoke/dry for 8-10 hrs....remember to keep the vents open/ lid slightly cracked so air can circulate.
9. to check doneness they should be rather dark in color and should bend but not snap.
10. pull them off let them cool to room temp for an hour on a plate then put them in a ziploc bag with a paper towel and stick it in the fridge...
11. admire your hard work and have a brew!

:cheers:

5lbs will do three of these batches on the grill
but will reduce to 1 one gallon bag full of jerky.

Enjoy!!!!;)

Last edited by a moderator: