Drive-on Trailers

geezer1

With few exceptions, the boats I've purchased in the past have needed work on their trailers to make them a true drive-on. Usually they come with 2 bunks (some with skinny 2x4's vs 2x6's) that are mounted too high for my taste. Normally I end up lowering those bunks & mounting 2 more bunks on the outside edges of the boat. I ALWAYS use pressure treated lumber & 2x6 size whenever possible. Those side boards the factory installs are too low for me - I don't like side boards anyway. I prefer vertical rollers with the top ends being 6" to 8" above the top of the boat cap & the running lights installed on them (we used to call them "longhorns" back in the day). I usually install rollers on all the horizontal cross members, not to hold boat weight but to keep the keel from striking metal when loading/unloading. On that first cross member, just aft of the winch, I like a centering roller (just in case). No weight is on rollers, the bunks take it all. These changes allow me a fast load/unload. How do you guys set yours up? Geezer.