Everglades Holiday Park 07-08-2011

R

Revenant

We set out at 6:45AM from Everglades Holiday Park, under cloudy skies, and headed up to the Alligator Alley Canal. We went west to the second highway bridge and fished onto the North side of the Alley with Frogs and Texas rigged worms. We caught a few small bass on top water, but the bite just wasn't there.

We then went back to the south side the alley, and drifted West casting parallel to the pads. Casting a Double Gold Colorado Green and Chartreuse spinner bait, I caught three solid 2 pound Bass, and lost one that was easily 5 to 6 lbs when she jumped. Unfortunately, the bait got damaged. Most the of the spinner bait hits were in the gaps between the lilly pads.

We switched to Strike King KVD Square Bill shallow diving crank baits in Crawfish and lit up the water. Within 30 minutes we had landed 10 more 1-2lb bass, and had several bigger fish chase the bait right up to the boat. Going into the little bend, I saw the biggest bass I've ever seen in the glades. It was probably at least 8lbs. Unfortunately, my partner hung up and accidentally moved the boat out of position. The fish was spooked and we didn't see it again. We continued to drift and pick up bass until the sun burned through the clouds, the wind picked up, and the bite died.

Packing up, we head south back toward the park and were greeted by, oddly enough, wind driven waves on the L-68. Nothing bigger then one foot, but it was surprising to see them. We went to the Four Corners area and threw Texas rigged worms and flukes right at the edges of the pads where we picked up two 3lb bass, and a few smallies.

Overall a great day. A lot of people make the mistake of over relying on frogs in the glades, but the crankbait and spinnerbait bite is excellent and shouldn't be overlooked.
We had our biggest hits of the day on spinner baits. :hook