for us northern folk

Unfortunatly it's getting that time of year again. Starting to think about that winter layup. We still have a few more weeks to play but it will
pass quickly. Up here in the north we have some precautions that you people in the southern part of the country don't need to worry so much about. Like weeks of freezing temps that could end up costing you a pile of money come spring. I'll cut and paste the list from last years post
feel free to add to it.

1. NEVER store a motor in the tilted up position. Trapped water in the powerhead and mid could freeze and crack the block

2. change the lower unit oil in the fall before the first freeze. Same reason as above. The possibility of water in the old oil will freeze and crank the LU.

3. fog those cylinders.

4. stabil BLUE for the remaining gas in the tank. Stabil pink doesn't work with the ethynol gas

5. change the impeller in the spring not fall. The long layover till spring will cause the new one to take a set and won't perform come spring.

6. grease all fittings. Again to remove trapped water

7. charge those batteries

8. put some RV anti freeze in the livewells and turn on the pumps just for a few seconds to get that stuff in the lines.

9. same as above for the bilge to keep the bilge pump from freezing up
I also disconnect the autoswitch for the bilge pump. Had one try to kick in a few winters back and I had some water in the bilge that
froze preventing the pump from turning and burned it up.

10. remove the hose going to the water pressure gauge and speedo at the gauge . The lines will freeze and pop those gauges. Tie a string to the steering wheel for a reminder or the first time out in the spring you will be pizz'd that your leg is soaked.

11. give that rig a good coating of wax. No need to even buff it out till spring

12. check all fasteners to include mounting hardware, steering connections lower unit mounting bolts and all lid screws.

13. loosen all straps ( bow, transom tiedowns etc)

14. don't forget that spearmint oil to keep the nesters out all winter long
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->