Halloween Weekend

gonefishing7903

New Member's Liason
Staff member
BBM Staff Member
Boat
Javelin Venom 17
Afternoon everyone. It's been a busy weekend here. Friday had to pickup from schoolthen drop off the oldest daughter at a friends (havnt seen much of her all weekend). Youngest was pickup by family friends from school for a sleepover so he wife and I could go to a halloween party. Couldnt say the last time I was out and about after 1am but the wife had a much needed night out and enjoyed herself. Needless to say that getting to bed at two am did not inspire me to get up and hook onto the boat early Saturday, so I cooked lunch and mowed on the pasture instead.

Did make it out this morning though and had the ramp to myself. Little bit of topwater action, mostly time to think. Firstly I really need to upgrade hooks on most of my topwater baits. The premium hooks that come on strike king, spro, river2sea ect have me spoiled with their sharpness, the older basic hooks on my chugbugs and spooks just dont add up. most of the teasers are falling off too. It was also apparent that I carry way too much in that box in particular. I couldn't tell you he last time i threw a pop-r or most of these bass pro xps baits. So that is project one for the off season, culling the box down and giving some tlc to the baits that stay.

I also started making a mental shopping list. The last two trips have made it apparent that I need to get a set of splitring pliers for the boat. I keep a pair in the fishing toolbox at home and always just figured that I could change hooks in between trips. Let me tell you it sucks when your getting bites on a bait but the hooks need replacing and you have to use a differnt lure because you cant get the hooks changed out :mad:. Trick sticks need restocking in my favorite color, 1/0 and 4/0 ewg ranks need reinforcements, running low on a couple of colors or trd worms too.

I have to get serious about trolling motor shopping too. My $15 garage sale motor I think is costing me fish. It shakes violently when turning on or off and at times makes an audible whine while on constant. I know if I can hear it that well, it is screaming at the fish. I have been putting it off for awhile just in case I upgraded boats but hey since any upgrading I do will be to a new to me boat I can always put my new troller on it right? Just need tomsave my pennies and buy a 24v with about 70lbs of thrust.

I also have come to the realization that I have a bad case of home lake burnout. So next year instead of trying to go as often as I can to the home lake, Im going to try to hit a differnt lake around here each month. We will see how that goes.

Hope everyone else has had a great weekend. I wish I had another day or two before I had to go back to work, but that's every weeknd lol