Holeyland-South Florida Everglades

Eesctom

BBM Current Events Admiral
Holeyland is located off of US 27, 14 miles north of I-75/Alligator Alley. There is a nine mile road off of the west side of US 27 that runs to the boat ramp. This is a somewhat unique area because unlike much of the Everglades, the boat ramp is situated on two connected lakes that are about 40 feet deep. There are three canals that adjoin these lakes.

Holeyland is somewhat unique because it provides opportunities to fish deeper water and to fish three seperate canals. It is known as Holeyland because it was used as a bombing range in the Everglades during World War II to train pilots.

I fished Holeyland on November 11, 2010 and did fairly well given the clear skies and strong winds. In the morning I caught smaller bass on Frogs in the lilypads located along the banks of the westerly running canal. Later that afternoon I headed to a smaller canal and caught a 3 pound bass, a 4.11 pound bass and a few 1 pound bass on Senkos and broke off what looked like about a 6 pound bass on my spinning rod as it headed under the boat as I tried to lip it.

On November 14, 2010 I tried Holeyland again, fishing only the East canal. The fishing was tough and I only got about 12 small bass with the biggest one being about one pound. I spoke with some other anglers and they were having a tough day as well but that is fishing.

The other notable point about Holelyland is that is presents a good area for bank fisherman. There are several levess you can drive on and many of the banks are open enough for those wishing to fish without boats. There are also some bike trails and walking trails (which I have not explored yet). It is a great place to take the family if you are visitng South Florida and wish to fish, walk or ride a bike.