JL Marine Systems Inc. Power-Pole

JL Marine Systems Inc. Power-Pole

When I first saw these anchor systems, I thought wow, that would be really compliment my style of fishing. So, I was given an opportunity to put the newest model to the test, the John Oliverio Signature Series.

Specs:

• Power-Pole – 8’ John Oliverio Signature Series in Black Powder Coat finish
  • Stealth Hydraulic Pump - Full stroke in 4.8 sec
  • Light weight Design- 29lbs
  • Electronic Foot Pedals – For hands free operation
  • Motor Bracket- 2” aft and 6” rise ½” thick lightweight aluminum plate.
  • Holds up to 26ft boat
  • Biodegradable Hydraulic fluid
  • High quality travel cover to protect the finish of the Power-Pole
Installation:

Installation was a breeze took only 3 hours to complete. Most difficult task was to fish the wires through my hull to the bow. But that can be eliminated with the purchase of a remote “key-fob” style switch that would go on your belt loop.

Only standard hand tools were necessary for installation.

JL Marine Systems Inc. supplied me with the proper transom bracket for my boat. What’s great about the bracket is that drilling holes in the transom is not necessary; all the stress of the anchor is evenly distributed trough the jack plate.

The kit came with everything to install the anchor except for longer bolts that was needed because of the 1/2” aluminum mounting bracket.

Their instructions are on their website for each model and accessory.

http://www.power-pole.com/pages/manual.htm

The Test:

The Power-Pole was tested on one of the most unforgiving waterways in North America, the Mississippi River.

The Power-Pole is very useful in heavy current, fishing for small mouth bass on rip-rap and submerged objects. When one was caught, quickly lowered the Power-Pole anchor and stood the boat still. I was able to catch 3 more fish that were very close to the same location, otherwise without the Power-Pole I would have drifted on by and would have to troll back wasting time.

Having the Power-Pole in the down position allows someone to re-tie their lure while in current. Surely beats using a conventional anchor by far.

The boat did swing a bit to the starboard side but I believe if two Power-Poles were installed turning would be eliminated.

I caught myself trying to use the trolling motor while the Power-Pole was anchored, It would be nice to have an indicator of some sort on the bow reminding me that the anchor is in the downward position.

Conclusion:

At first the sticker price for one of this Power-Pole is seemingly high but that is justified with the fit and finish of the John Oliverio Signature Series Power-Pole, well worth the investment of money and time.

I would highly recommend this to anyone who fishes in shallow lakes, river systems and shallow water flats.

Not sure if I could ever do without, after knowing how useful this Power-Pole really is.

Another way the Power-Pole would be very effective is sight fishing in shallow water flats during the spawning period.

The Power-Pole anchor worked just as advertised, it was quick, silent and the boat did NOT move.

I talked to three of their staff members on an individual basis and all were very helpful and friendly.

Thank you JL Marine Systems Inc. for this opportunity to test your product.

You owe it to yourself to check these guys out.

http://www.power-pole.com/