Kicker Fish XPLODIN' TOAD review

Crazy D

About a month ago , i went to a local liquor/bait store to get my favorite drink for the night of fishing .

I recently lost one of my good soft top water baits , and all my Salad Spoons are torn to shreds , so i decided to try something new .

Case in point : A Kicker Fish Bait Co. Xplodin' Toad :party0045:
(non floating model)

A bag of these were $3.49 ( 5 in a bag ) and the size of the Toad is 3-1/2 inches . They are a very nice design . Soft plastic . Not sure if they are salt impregnted , but it really doesn't matter cause the strikes that you will get will be a reaction strike as you pull it on top of the water .

The legs on these really work well . Almost like paddle feet , and really do a good job of wiggling and maing a nice mini wake in the water .

The hooks i was using were Matzuo's black chrome 3/0 worm hook wide gap . :)D i am 99% sure this is the hook i was using , my hooks are a little mixed up in my hook bag :D ).

But basically you can use an offset hook like you use for senkos , and rig it the same way as a senko . Just match the hook size to the Toad so the hook isn't too big and the placement where you stick the toad is correct .

Right from the get go , i was catching fish with the Xplodin' Toad . Bass really love it . I mainly fish at night and on-shore . So i was casting this as far as i could straight down the shoreline , as soon as hits the water i reel in , getting it to sit on top of the water , and reeling it in slowly . (The Toad will sink slowly if you don't reel it)

I also use a method of casting the lure as far as i can , then closing my bail right before the lure hits the water . I feel this doesn't create a big splash when the lure hits the water , and also you can start reeling right away before the lure has time to start sinking . ( it works for me , maybe i'm crazy though :D )

Bass hit this thing and get it all the way in their mouths . The fish seemed to hit it hard . Let them strike it , wait a second or two , then set the hook .

They hold up very well . I never had a leg rip off after catching a few fish on the same toad . The only problem is , like with most plastics and worms is that , because you rig it with a offset hook , the top part of the plastic rips from either the line or from just wear and tear , and then they really don't swim 100% perfect after rehooking the battered Toad . I guess it really depends on how long you fight the fish for and how hard the fish hits it to determine how long a Toad will last before putting on a fresh Toad .

I really like this Xplodin' Toad . I have caught many fish for only using it for a month . I have already stocked up on black Toads , and also watermelon red Toads .

The color i was using was all black . The site shows a few different other colors , and also a "Floating" Toad .

Definitely 2 Thumbs Up for this top water lure . It is also a USA company :cheers:

Here are some of my very recent 2010 pics.

Last edited by a moderator: