Lew's Tournament Lite

kipp

Boating Moderator
Staff member
BBM Staff Member
Community Supporter
Boat
2007 Triton Tr 186..Alumacraft 146 NCS
Got one of these to throw a #5 Rapala Shad Rap in Winter...its cool.

I’m a big believer in matching the hatch which becomes pretty difficult in my area this time of year. A large majority of my fishery’s threadfin shad are very small right now, making it necessary to utilize smaller-than-average baits in order to get bites.

"What kind of reel is that? I've never seen someone flick their wrist like that and make such a long cast. That's incredible, son."
While I’ve previously used spinning reels for some of these dainty presentations, the castability of the Lew’s Tournament Lite Speed Spool Casting Reel has opened up several new possibilities for me. Whether I’m casting a tiny balsa crankbait, a small, weightless soft jerkbait or a 1/4-ounce buzzbait, this reel has made it ridiculously easy.

This reel doesn’t require me to constantly babysit the spool with my thumb throughout the cast which has perhaps been its most impressive quality. I always try to use the wind to my advantage and I’ve been able to bomb some very small lures without any backlashes, loops or frustration.

When I use the Tournament Lite with “normal-sized” lures such as squarebills and jerkbaits, the results are extraordinary— that’s the only way I can really describe it. Instead of having to make a big overhead cast when I’m covering large, expansive flats, I’ve been able to make a quick roll cast without sacrificing any distance whatsoever.