"Mainstream" "Cookie Cutter" "Mass Production" Hotrods...

Darth VMAX

Allison Boats Officer
Whatever you call them...the mainline production boat manufacturers (Not Allison, Bullet, Stroker, LCB etc.) both past and present have offered some "Hotrod" models to their line-ups every now and then. These were models that offered higher than average performance. They were usually produced for limited production runs and/or production years. These boats are usually rare and with a good set-up can offer some very good speeds that will hurt some feelings.

A few I remember are:

1. One of my all time favorites: 2000-2002 Triton 200xp
19'8" Long, 98" beam, 1450 lb,225 max hp Center Console Bassboat. Earl Bentz's creation to dominate the WCF Circuit. Low-mid 80 mph boat

2. Stratos ASX
This Alan Stinson design from 2003. 64 were produced. Advanced design and materials made for a lightweight yet strong boat with a unique running pad that yeilded low-mid 80 mph speeds with a 225HO and mid-upper 80mph speeds with 250hp!

3. Astro F20
These (and their twin from ProCraft) were produced from the early 90's through 1996. They were a lighter weight high performance design that yeilded 75 mph speeds from a 200 Mercury/Mariner. Some prople would stick a 225 Promax on them and get 80+ mph speeds from them. I always thought Brunswick took some "cues" from Allisons XB2002 and XTB-21 and plugged them into this design.

4. Basscat Eyra
This year Basscat Boats has intriduced the new "Eyra". This totally new design is targeting the "tweener" market. Huh? whats that mean? This boat's target audience is the basser that wants all the familiarity of a "normal" bass boat with performance that is nothing but. This boat plugs the performance gap between "regular" bassboats, and your more custom high performance Allison, Bullet etc. These boats are so new that the few owners out there are still dialing them in. Basscat says they are indeed an 80+ mph boat with 250 power (rated to 285)

What about any other Mainstream manufacturer's "hotrod" models? I am sure there were more at one time or another. Lets hear it and see some pics. ;)