Need Help! 1975 Inline 6 1150 115 HP Bogging Down

Aric11

I own a 1975 Mercury 1150 (115 HP Tower of Power) outboard. SN 7038532.

When I first ran it this spring she ran like a dream! Not a kick, a spurt of sputter to be found. I ran in water (not with hose & ears) and it ran perfect. I then let it sit for about a week and when we tried to run it again, it would fire up and run exactly how it did when we first got it. After about 15 or 20 seconds it then starts to bog down.

As best we can figure it’s either flooding somehow, or starving for fuel. My first guess is that the carbs are plugged because when we pulled off the cowling they were just pissing out raw fuel. The reservoir to catch fuel at the front with the drain spout was full! Another option is we think it might be the fuel filter. But we can’t find specs on how to clean either them or the carbs.

We checked the compression hot and cold and it has between 138 and 152 on all 6 so we “hope” that means we don’t have a cracked block. Plugs and wires all seem good because we tested each individually and they’ve all got fire.

Any suggestions on what else this could mean? Is there a cleaner I could run through the filter or carbs that anyone suggests?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!