Never assume!!!!

Dougw

Just got back from fishing an ABA draw tournament. I drew a partner this time. He didn't have a pfd - that should'a been a clue. But he fished well and seemed to have a pretty good grasp on fishing/boating issues. Sooo... we get back to the ramp and I asked if he'll back my trailer down... He hemm'd and hawww'd then said "yeah, that shouldn't be a problem!" Clue #2. Very steep ramp get boat close but need winch to get the last couple of inches. Instruct non-boater to winch me up while I power on - he does. Then hops in the truck to trailer me out and clips curb from turning too sharp - Clue #3. I pull plug, put on transom straps and motor toter.

Tournaments over n' I'm trailering home, approx. 150 miles. At about the 100 mile mark I hit Houston and some gawd'awful road conditions. Bumpy would be a vast understatement. While driving I glance in my rearview mirror. Funny I've never noticed that much bow movement before... Keeping an eye on it... Boy that thing sure does bounce up a lot when I hit bumps.

Yeah,,, you've probably guess it by now. Clueless non-boater did not engage the ratchet on the winch. Left it just as it was this morning when I put in. Why the boat didn't hit the ramp trailering out I don't know. I have one broken transom strap(gonna recondition trailer and weld in brackets for boat buckles) and thought about making the trip with just one but I also have a lot of tie-down straps that I use in construction so just for the heck of it I put one one before I left. Had I not there's a good chance that a Gambler would be setting in middle of Hwy. 59 or I-45 in downtown Houston right about now.

Never assume. If you don't know the guy helping you load/secure a boat - CHECK BEHIND HIM!