OK, so I make it to Mobil, Alabama....

Dougw

... waiting in the parking lot is the 2005 Intimidator 2000. I've never been aboard one of the newer Gamblers just looked at'em tied up to the dock and while floating waiting for blast-off.

Sheeeesh.... If my 209 had been laid out like this boat I would of never bought on in the first place. And what's with the 6" jackplate on the back of a 20'er? Granted it is hydraulic but.... The transom extension is probably 1/2 the off-set as my 209 and a 6" plate? Wonder why they did that???? OH... bet I know.... Might have something to do with transom strength.

So I'm doin' my walk-around and as I pass by the prop bolted to a 225 Pro XS. I give'er a spin.... (grind)(grind)(grind).... whooo... that don't sound good. I call the guy over that drug the boat to Mobil and tell'em - "Listen to this..." His reply - "It's under warranty".... Maybe. I get home and pull the prop so I can spin the shaft without the possibility of some funky prop contact making the noise. Turn the prop shaft... grind.... move the shaft side-to-side. Lotta side play in the shaft. I don't have a dial indicator so I can't take readings but I've rebuilt a lotta things with shafts and bearings.... This one has a lotta side play. OK... it's not my boat but I don't wanna get stranded so I pull the upper plug then place a container under the lower unit and pull the bottom plug - And out came... maybe... just maybe... 3-4oz of lube. To me it looks like there wasn't enough to cover the prop shaft, never minding the bearings and gears.

Called the shop that has my boat now and described what I'd found. The owner said the boat had just been serviced and tested on the water! I'm thinkin' someone forgot to install lower unit lube prior to buttoning it back up. I'm also thinkin' they were lucky the lower unit didn't take a dive. There's no evidence of oil leakage so it only seems logical that lube wasn't in the L/U to begin with.