O'l Gambler setup...

Dougw

First the background then the questions.

Ok first a question then background info.

Does anybody know the preferd engine height relative to a '95 Gambler 209(TE) w/225 Pro XS? I'll be hangin' one on the back next week. I'm not concerned with precise pad/shaft dimensions. I'm just trying to get it in the right mounting hole then I can work with it from there.

Back in the dark ages I had a new '96 209 ProMax 225, torque master L/U and a 12" plate. That particular combo ran best with the engine in the bottom hole and the plate all the way up. I don't know or recall the prop shaft/pad dimension and didn't really care at time. It ran like I wanted it to. I did have to add the scoops to the water pickup. 2.5's were the "norm" back then but some folks had started hanging 3.0's on'em. At that time the 3.0.s needed to run quite a bit lower. But... that was with the standard L/U. The Pro XS is coming with a torque master L/U.

I'm also installing a 12" slide master plate. It has 5-6" of travel. I'm thinkin' mount the XS in the lower hole, same as the 2.5, and there should be enough plate adjustment to hit the sweet spot. But... I also recall, back then, discussions arguing that mounting height made a difference. Say you could adjust the pad/shaft height to the same spot even if the engine were mounted in the 1st or 3rd hole. The thrust angle changes(supposedly) and though the pad/shaft setting were the same performance was better in the 3rd hole - for example.

I can change the mounting location at the ramp but would really rather not - if I don't have to.

Thanks for the input!

Doug W.

Last edited by a moderator: