Prespawn plastics

Kevin

Senior Fisheman
Best Catch
12lbs
Boat
Charger
The prespawn will be in full swing over the next couple of weeks in large parts of our country. There’s no doubt that this is the time to catch the big one, but it can also be a time for big frustration. Prespawn bass can be hard to locate and hard to catch.

I have a simple approach that’s served me well over the years that I’d like to share with you.

The first thing I think about is water temperature. I use 55 degrees as a benchmark for largemouth moving up for the spawn. If the temperature is fluctuating throughout the day as it often does in shallow water, I'll consider the average temperature of the area. I also consider the current water temperature and compare it to the days and weeks before. Is it on the rise, or is it falling? That’ll effect where and how I fish.

Next, I’ll think about the places where they’ll actually spawn. After all, we're talking prespawn so we need to know where they are headed. If the average water depth in the area is shallow, like in a Florida lake, I look for dense cover that’ll hold heat. If it’s deeper or if there’s a break nearby, I’ll move out or near the first break.

Before we go too far, though, we need to go back to water temperature.

Prespawn bass in colder water or in dropping water are usually not as aggressive so I tend to fish baits that are small and that make a small profile. Straight tail worms like trick worms or a NetBait T-Mac Straight Tail Worm on a shaky head are one of my first choices. They have an exciting quiver as they fall, but they don’t have a bulky presence.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE.......