Rod Choice for A-Rig Fishing

gonefishing7903

New Member's Liason
Staff member
BBM Staff Member
Boat
Javelin Venom 17
Well sitting here watching Fishing Texas on WFN since we are having gusty conditions (25-35mph winds today) and I didnt feel like fighting that with both kids in the boat. I was "window shopping" on one of the online tackle dealers and noticed the rods that G.Loomis has designed specifically for fishing an A-rig. Now this line of rod retails for $500 to $650 and that is in the same neck of the woods as the second new graph I would like to put on my boat so there is no way I will be investing that in a rod.

I know when the rig first hit most people talked about throwing them on flipping sticks so thats what I tried when I got my first one. I found the stiffness of the flipping stick made it a bit awkward to throw suck a heavy set up. Since then I started using a softer rod that I keep around for strolling when I'm striper fishing over on big beautiful Lake Texoma. It is just an old UglyStick by Shakespeare but I really like that it has more give and really loads up to give me a longer cast when throwing an A-rig. Also I dont feel that I need the heavy action of the flipping stick for hook sets for two reasons: 1. like a crankbait the strike occurs most often when the lure is already in motion, and 2. fish will really hammer it when they bite it so a heavy hookset is seldom needed.

Anyways those are just my thoughts on how I have been fishing the A-rig and I thought I would see what everybody else thought about it