Sign Of Too Much Oil In Gas?

Allyda

I loooove to fish and light the water on fire!!
My boat has a 200 hp rude XP looper (86 model) with the VRO removed so oil is mixed with gas manually. While out of the water for floor and deck mods also carpet redo I routinely run my engine on the muffs for at least 20 minutes per month or so.

Before I purchased my rig the previous owner always kept the tank full (mix ratio unknown) while out of the water. I bought the boat directly following engine having a fresh powerhead installed (new one because VRO failed) and before deciding to do my modifications I only had between fishing enough run time on the water to put about five hours on the motor so technically it's still in break in period, and have only been able to run about half the gas out that was in it's 25 gallon tank. Right now I'm just below the half tank mark.

While running on the muffs, and also when I would idle too long on the water in no wake zones I would lose RPM's noticing more oil smoke from the exhaust than I should until I throttled up for long enough to bring them back -about 10 seconds or so at at least 13-1500 rpm on muffs, or above 2000 for about 20-30 seconds on the water, which I know is a sign of plugs fouling.

In addition, after running the engine on the muffs and placing my transom saver back in place I've noticed a very slow thick black oil slowly building up where my lower unit couples to the motor (right above where transom saver fits above cavitation plate), and running down my transom saver.

I have enough marine mechanical experience to ascertain this is unburned oil draining down through the exhaust, and that my boats previous owner obviously was overmixing 2 cycle oil with the gas (my engine calls for a 50:1 ratio). My purpose with this post is to hopefully get some of your opinions on how bad it's overmixed given the symptoms described, Whether I can correct the problem by adding unmixed fuel, or whether I should just pull the tank (It's new replaced before I bought the boat when engine was done) drain the fuel clean it out and fill it up with fuel that I mix myself at the proper ratio.

I also believe that this much oil in my gas is hurting my engine performance and holeshot. There's nothing wrong with the fuel other than it's overmixed an I'd hate to waiste it if I don't have to. However though my engine has a new powerhead and I don't want to place any unnecessary strain on it during it's last few hours of break in when I get her back in the water a month or two from now, and my instinct is telling me to dump the existing fuel and refil it with fuel properly mixed. It's a 25 gallon tank so there's about 12 gallons remaining. At $4. per gallon with aditive and oil I'm only looking at around $57. plus the labor to replace the existing fuel. Likewise though, I feel about 2 to three gallons of unmixed fuel added to the existing fuel may bring it close to the proper ratio for break-in.

I'd love to hear some thoughts or opinions on this.

Also, will 2 cycle oil settle toward the bottom of the gas tank while boat is sitting? I don't remember this being an issue but with todays gas containing ethanol (I buy additive when I can't find gas without it) I thought I'd double check to be sure.

I thank you for your advice and opinions in advance. :cheers: