sonar set up tips

S

Stinkies Daddy

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1; COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1>
1st things 1st. Turn off the fish id, this is a liar and will show you things that are there but are not fish. I know the lil fish icons on the screen are cool and i even leave the id on, on the console of my boat so my customer has fish to look at. On the bow of my boat i have id turned off.

next you will want to set your keel offset there is a menu item for this and it should be on the first menu page. while tied to the dock in calm water turn on your graph and let it register depth, while the graph is doing its thing run up to your truck and grab your 30' stanley. now measure the distance to the bottom from the water surface. do they match? if not you will neeed to adjust the keel offset either + or - to get the correct depth reading.

3rdly set your scroll speed to 100% just as fast as it will go, just trust me on this 1, Ex: you are in 30fow and your speed is set as slow as it will go, your are traveling on speed 4 on the troller, you are watching the graph and you see a boulder that appears to be holding what you think are fish! whooooooo hoooooooooo!!!!! so now you are gonna try to pin point it, drop a marker and fish this rock, cant find it can you? the reason is that your probabally 60' past it. RUN THE GRAPH SPEED AS FAST AS IT WILL GO and your still gonna over shoot the structure just not as bad. If you are wanting to mark on a gps you will want to do figger 8's til you find the structure then mark it on the gps. My gps is accurete til bout 14 feet so i use a triangle pattern marking the structure 3 times and in most cases it works very well.

4thly, set your grey line to what ever color that you like i use black, set the grey line to bout 40% to start. The sonar sends a ping to the bottom and that ping bounces back pinging off what ever is down there, the darker the color on the graph the harder the object. 40% is not a set in stone %age it's just where i start, feel free to adjust this setting as you get more of a feel for it.

E, set the sensitivity to about 70%, again 70 is a starting place. The higher the sens setting the more crap you will see, you don't wanna see crap. The way i set mine is to get 1 of them big ole weights that y'all are so fond of and tie it to the line and drop it right into the cone of the transducer at about 20 feet its gonna just sit there in the cone, now adjust the sens setting til you see a straight line all the way across your graph, then you got it really dialed in. at this point you may think shouldnt it be an arch? NO is the answer to that ?

F:, fish arches are only made whe a fish moves in and out of the cone or you pass over the fish. If you see a straight line on the graph while trolling this means that a fish is going the same speed and is staying in the cone. The same thing applies to sitting still and you see a straight line on the graph its a fish just sitting there, stayin in the cone of the trans.

As far as knowing what you are seein down there, well experance is gonna have a lot to do with that. Keeping in mind that the harder the object the darker the pic on the screen will help you. Rock is harder than oak, oak is harder than pine, pine is harder than hydrilla, get the idea? and yes it is possable to see a tree and in fine detail if your graph is set correctly. When you see it you will know zactly what i'm referin to