(USCG) Holiday Message

egreen024

Holiday Message
The holiday season is a wonderful time of year. For many it is a time when fond memories of magical moments kindle warm and mystical feelings in our heart. For others, it is a time when the colors, sounds, tastes and fragrances of the season work together to lift our spirits and rekindle cherished memories. Of special importance, this time of year should be a time when we draw those who are closest to us even closer and give thanks for the gifts and blessings we have received. As we give thanks, we must also be mindful of those around us who may be experiencing a difficult time this holiday season. Our thoughts and prayers are with those who have recently lost a loved one and who will be experiencing for the first time holidays without someone they continue to love and miss very much. It will also be a difficult time for everyone who has loved ones serving on deployed operations at various locations around the world. We must remember to extend a friendly hand to those neighbors and friends. The simplest act of kindness can change a lonely and difficult time into an unexpected blessing.
I cherish this time of year not only for the brief pause it offers from our hectic lives, but also as a time to reflect on all that we have accomplished over the past year. As we reflect, one cannot help but be amazed by the achievements of our Coast Guard Auxiliary members around the nation. The secret to our success continues to be commitment, dedication and teamwork reinforced by a burning desire to excel.
As we look forward to a few well-deserved quiet moments over the holidays, I cannot help but think how fortunate we are to be living in the greatest nation in the world. Enjoy being with family and friends and relaxing creating memories that will last a lifetime.
As I remain hopeful that rest and relaxation will rank high on the priority list of everyone over the holidays, I am mindful that there will be significant challenges waiting for us in 2010. Coast Guard Modernization (and, yes, Coast Guard Auxiliary Modernization) is a work in process that will require all of us to adapt to the needs of the Service. We will be reinforcing our core mission of Recreational Boating Safety to meet the needs of our customers, the American public. The Coast Guard will continue to ask more of us and we need to be ready to adapt and respond.
While the Auxiliary is fully energized and engaged to embrace these challenges, I very much hope that everyone will focus on enjoying some time with family and friends, and remembering the true meaning of this special time of year.
Once again, I thank you for the time and effort you give to our Coast Guard Auxiliary, and our nation. I wish you joy, peace, health and happiness in 2010 and beyond.
[ Source: Tom Nunes, DIR-Ad]