Water pump Evinrude

Evinbuck

I need to replace my water pump/impeller on an 85hp, 1978 Evinrude. Yes, it’s old however I doubt the hours are much more than 100 tops. I’m used to doing a lot of motor maintenance on about everything else I own but I’ve never had an outboard apart. I’ve looked at the exploded view on Evinrude’s website and also watched several you tube videos of dudes changing impellers on various motors. Appears to be pretty straight forward and simple to change the actual parts involved however, things that seem to never be shown are the peripheral things involved of getting to that point like removing the lower unit and things to look out for. Again, seems basic as mine appears to have 4 bolts holding the lower unit on. Obviously one drains the oil first. I assume the drive shaft spline just drops out and is put back by rotating and aligning the drive shaft. I note a shift rod and wondering if there is any attachment? Any other gaskets involved other than the new water pump rebuild kit? Basically, I need a walk through of what other things are involved, whether you need a three handed monkey, special factory wrench, or a case of beer for a long weekend of curses and busted knuckles and mutterings of wish I‘d not started this. Any advice appreciated.:D

Attachments