90 Evinrude Looper dies when put in gear

4strokes

Here's the deal, I just bought this little boat last week & took it for it's 1st run this morning.

Naturally before paying the previous owner I had him crank it on the hose. It cranked instantly & seemed to idle well & shift into & out of gear correctly.

I personally ran a compression check on it, all 4 cylinders came in @ 120 lbs so I didn't think twice about buying it.

Anyway, this morning my Daughter & I decided to see how it ran out with us & gear fully loaded. It started easy but the first 2 times I tried to put it into gear the motor died so I let it idle awhile longer & it dropped into gear just fine & off we went. It powered up thru rpm range & WOT without a pop, miss or sputter.

I ran the boat 14 miles to the next stop & decided to fish a little bit. 45 minutes later we decided it was time to go. The motor cranked instantly but every time I put it into gear the motor would skip a little bit & die. It acted like a cut out switch was killing part of the fire to 2 cylinders every time I grabbed the shifter lever in either direction of forward or reverse but the motor would clear up & run solid if I popped it back into neutral quick enough.

Unlike my 96 model 150 looper this 1997 90 horse doesn't have the shifter cut-out switch on it ... so what could it be ?

One more thing, I checked the plugs after I got home & the 2 on the right side are burning a beautiful tan color but the 2 on the left bank are wet looking.