Control Cable Options-Mercury

90profx

For those of you who need or plan to replace your control cables (Mercury application) let me share this info from experience. When I bought my rig (used), then added a 10" J/Plate, the stock cables weren't going to make it because of length. Even though before I added the J/Plate I noticed they (stock cables) were not the smoothest cables. Somebody told me about a premium cable that Merc offers and is said to be super smooth. They are the "Platinum" series cables. Even though they cost a little more the ease of movement from my Hotfoot to my shift control was unbelievable. I've since rigged 4 other boats using these same "Platinum Series" cable and the owners couldn't believe the difference. So if your going to change out cables or need to buy new because of a modification, consider these cables. They will handle a smaller bend radius than the stock (black jacket) cables) for those having tight fit issues.

On a side note "Teleflex" also makes a similar premium cable (which I've not used) for other makes and models of motors and control needs. :):):)