gator in WVa

fats95

BBM's Brewista
Now this ole boy was lost. we were kayak fishing here when I was home.

SOUTH CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- State officials are trying to determine how a 67-inch alligator took up residence in a Lincoln County wildlife management area.

The animal was found at the Upper Mud Wildlife Management Area when Division of Natural Resources officials responded to a call from fishermen who reported seeing the alligator.

"There he was on the bank, eating a pretty good-sized bass,'' DNR Wildlife Resources Chief Curtis Taylor said Wednesday.

The alligator was killed Saturday because it was considered a threat to humans, he said.

"None of my guys have the skill or equipment to capture an alligator,'' Taylor said. "An alligator could never survive the winter in West Virginia, never. Rather than let it suffer a slow death, I think we did the right thing.''

Alligators are normally found from Texas to the North Carolina coast.

Curtis said the animal could have been living at the lake all summer, but officials won't know until after they examine it.

He said there are two possible scenarios for how the alligator got into the lake. It was either a pet that outgrew its welcome or it "was a spring break prank that went bad.''