New & Improved Technique for De-hooking Yourself

N

Nightmare

(Disclaimer: This should fall under the humor section even if it wasn't funny to me :eek::rolleyes:)

Go to the freaking ER. <!--EZCODE EMOTICON START :lol -->
<!--EZCODE EMOTICON END-->

While recently on vacation and doing my catch & release, the ungrateful l'il bugger turned around and hooked ME! Upon impaling one each barb of the front treble on my F5 Rapala minnow in black over original silver finish 2/3s of the way into the pad of my left thumb, I ever so calmly applied the squeezing stun behind the struggling salmoid's head to quiet him (or pop his head like a zit). Finding it difficult to grasp him as such with the right hand and manipulate the pliers with my left hand (remember, treble in left thumb pad) in order to unhook the bugger (who is sharing the same treble with me in his lower lip), I gladly acquiesed to receiving aid.

Ever so happy to enlist my wife's assistance, I enquiried if she might take a moment from casting (she hadn't yet noticed from the back seat that I seemed unusually quiet and inactive) to step up front pleeeeease <!--EZCODE EMOTICON START :rolleyes -->
<!--EZCODE EMOTICON END--> . I don't EVER recall talking so sweetly to my beloved <!--EZCODE EMOTICON START ;) -->
<!--EZCODE EMOTICON END--> before as I talked her thru each movement affecting the demeanor of that danged fish as she wielded the pliers and finally, ever so gently, disengaged the barb from his lip whereupon he was returned to whence he came to reward other anglers in the future. WHHHEEEEW! <!--EZCODE EMOTICON START :eek -->
<!--EZCODE EMOTICON END--> . Aaahhh - honey, hand me a cigarette. honey hand me my lighter. <!--EZCODE EMOTICON START :smokin -->
<!--EZCODE EMOTICON END--> Aaahhh.

As my better half wobbled about a bit, so very near where my rod laid, I decided cutting the connecting line would provide me with ever so much more self-empowerment over my own pain and growing hmbness in my thumb. I suddenly, in a hushed and urgent tone, told her "stop, stay very still - don't move at at!". And while she was frozen for the moment (except for her mouth - "why, what's wrong, what happened?) I expediently snatched up the braid cutters and severed the remaining external source of increased pain. <!--EZCODE EMOTICON START :\ -->

Aaahhh - honey, hand me a cigarette. honey hand me my lighter. <!--EZCODE EMOTICON START :smokin -->
<!--EZCODE EMOTICON END--> Aaahhh. Think - Think - Think. Ok, maybe I can just back this thing out with the pliers......owowowowow....hmmm, not going to well with that idea - guess they call it "barb" for a reason - duh. <!--EZCODE EMOTICON START :| -->

Honey, light me again, please. Aaahhh. <!--EZCODE EMOTICON START :smokin -->

I'm thinking of the technique of cranking the thing on thru the surface of the flesh and clipping off the barb before backing it back out. OK, I'm talking thru this out loud so the wife understands or I'm just gonna have to go thru it again for her. Well, by the time I get done - I've come to the conclusion that this isn't gonna be the technique for me. <!--EZCODE EMOTICON START :x -->

Didn't have to get too in-depth with the one concerning the loop of line around the curve of the hook before I arrived at a similar conclusion. <!--EZCODE EMOTICON START :x -->
<!--EZCODE EMOTICON END--> <!--EZCODE EMOTICON START :x -->

Okay. Time to put stuff in their places on the boat and get to hoofin'. Ya know something? I've come to the realization that its really hand to use 2 hands while running a dual stalk pro-trim, light switches, hyd jp & trim and steer at varying speeds (while delicately cradling the Rapala in my left hand in such manner to not have its 3/16s ounce weight hang it's weight on the wound channel in my thumb). Soooo, after negotiating 7 lakes and 3 connecting channels and 8.4 miles......we get back to the cabin and get docked (ole lady get do that pretty good).

Get my wallet (insurance card) and truck keys and we're off to the ER, another 10 miles. After a fairly short wait (for an ER, unless you're missing a limb and losing 2 quarts of blood and THEN only if you come in a squad) I was in a treatment room. Gotta love the doc. He comes in and checks it out and tells me in all seriousness, he's pretty sure he can save it. HUH? <!--EZCODE EMOTICON START :eek -->

Then he clarifies that he's talking about the treble.... ALRIGHT - I'm gonna like this guy. Ten minutes later its out and in a little baggie and NOW my thumb bleeds - go figure - not a drop before (even after my wife backs into me back at the cabin, driving the hook another 1/8" further into my thumb <!--EZCODE EMOTICON START :eek -->
<!--EZCODE EMOTICON END--> <!--EZCODE EMOTICON START :eek -->
<!--EZCODE EMOTICON END--> ).

In the end, as much of the concern was about possibility of needing a tetnus shot but didn't need one after all. As it were, the shot in my thumb for pain killer probably hurt about as much as ripping the hook back out myself. The upshot was that I had NO soreness or discomfort from that point on - not likely if I'd have taken care of it.

Hope ya enjoyed. <!--EZCODE EMOTICON START :lol -->