The Real Origin of Reels...

Revenant

Active Fisherman
So Laus' discussion of getting a new reel got me thinking about just who makes them. Most of the companies don't own factories anymore, and instead outsource the production to Korea, Malaysia, and China. Moreover, companies like BPS often outsource their designs to other companies. It's been rumored for years that the Pro Qualifiers were designed by Abu Garcia, and that certain other reels were designed by Quantum. The tell tale sign is how the magnetic brake works. 10 spots - Abu. 5 spots - Quantum.

While at the Classic, I even had a an Abu rep detail very adamantly to me that while the BPS reels were designed by them, the Abu models used metal not plastic.

I found this quote on another forum. Highlighted area originally posted by
Fishwhittler on Bass Resource. Here is the original thread.

Abu's low-profile reels, Lew's reels, Pflueger baitcasters, and the BPS Pro Qualifier and Johnny Morris Signature Series baitcasters are all made by Doyo in Korea. Abu Garcia's round reels from the C3 on up are still made in Sweden.

Shimano makes most of their upper-end reels in Japan, though they also have their own factory in Malaysia to build their lower-cost reels from the Curado G on down. I believe the Malaysian factory is owned by Shimano, not just a contractor. Could be wrong.

Silstar Corporation owns Pinnacle, and also produces reels for Ardent Evercast, W&M, and Halo. Production is based in China, if you check the bottom of the reel foot.

Daiwa is similar to Shimano in that most or all of their high-end reels are made in Japan, but some of their cheaper reels are built at Daiwa-owned factories in other countries. I believe Daiwa uses South Korea and Taiwan as the bases for those other factories.

Not sure on the other companies listed. Zebco owns Quantum, for whatever that's worth, so they're probably built in the same country. Cabelas doesn't use just one manufacturer. They've got some Daiwa reels, some Okuma, and a few that I think are Quantum. BPS also uses multiple companies, mainly Quantum and Doyo. Though, I think the Johnny Morris Carbonlite is actually built by another company, Dawon. Not sure on country of origin, probably Korea or Taiwan.