Always show it to new partners/ buddies.

egreen024

How many of us show all the safety equipment locations on our boats to people never been on them?
I for one never really did it untill I had that incident where nothing would shut off the engine, after that I started thinking about the "what if's" and now never I run motor without kill switch on me, and without giving a little tour of boat to my guests. My wife and kids go on boat a lot, for my surprise when I asked wife if she could bring boat safely back to me, had I fall into water she said "no you never showed me how". Well now when we walk into boat with a newcomer while standing on front deck I do a 360 of boat: this is a trolling motor this is how it works (on mine I have to show them that sometimes they have to reposition arrow on top by hand, doesn't always point where boat is going), 1st compartment- you find some life vests anchor first aid kit, water prof doc. for boat flares, extra rope, etc. (I use the cheap life vests to keep things from bouncing and scratching inside of compartment), 2nd left- just fishing rods (stay away from it, no need for you to go there) 3rd right- keep my front seat there, some extra tackle, some clothing in case we need dry clothing, drivers seat you got controls to motor, live wells etc. (I go over every single one, horn, bilge pump(s),live wells, navigational lights etc. (specially make sure they know about kill switch, and bilge pump, as well as 5 blasts=danger) also explain that in case they have to drive boat, easy doest it. back side comp. just extra stuff including what they bring aboard, then I open up battery compartment so they don't frick out when they open it on their own, I point out trolling batteries, fuse boxes any reset bottons, oil tank reservoir (also tell them about the alarms for it, and where they can find some oil) point out where pumps are from livewells and bilge, and most important which batterie is for main engine. (show them where jumping cables are and how to do it) I also tell them how they could change a prop while on the water. Of course I hope they never have to use this info, but in my case I tell them to if I fall overboard and current pulls me away, to take their time and just bring boat to me, so I get on board, In the event I be hurt try to get help on the water and keep boat safe away from moving traffic, and big waves, keep everyone on board calm, show that you in control and everything will go much easier untill help arrives. One thing I notice in the many years I spend on the water is that boaters are great people always whilling to help.
Again Be safe