BASS ANGLER CATCHES TROPHY CUTBOW AT HORSETOOTH

Kevin

Senior Fisheman
Best Catch
12lbs
Boat
Charger

Angler Jeff Nielsen caught this trophy cutbow on Nov. 15 at Horsetooth Reservoir.

When avid bass angler Jeff Nielsen fished Horsetooth Reservoir on Nov. 15, he never expected that his trophy catch for the day would be a huge cutbow trout. Nielsen, who fishes Horsetooth regularly, says that he knew something was amiss as soon as the monster fish grabbed his line.

“I knew it was a good fish as soon as I hooked him,” said Nielsen. “Because of the weight, I figured it wasn’t a smallmouth. And because of the fight, I knew it wasn’t a walleye. I guessed pretty quickly that I had a bruiser trout on my line.”

Nielsen hooked the cutbow on a drop-shot plastic-worm rig, a light-weight spinning rod and 6-pound line — a common setup for bass but an unlikely way to lure and land a big trout. The trout bullied the light tackle and after several minutes of careful give and take, Nielsen, who was fishing by himself, finally landed the bruiser bow with help from friends in a nearby boat.

“This fish was really strong and the battle was amazing,” said Nielsen. “If it wasn’t for a few fishing buddies on another boat that offered to jump on board my Ranger and help with the net, I don’t know if I would have gracefully landed him.”

To read more:

http://coloradooutdoorsmag.com/2015/12/03/bass-angler-catches-trophy-cutbow-at-horsetooth/