Best How-To on Flotation, Powering, and Ventilation Rules - Sticky?

D'Hag

I was searching the web for how to calculate the flotation requirements for my bass boat restoration, and I found this link from Minnesota DNR:

Safety Standards for Backyard Boat Builders
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/education_safety/safety/boatwater/backyardboatbuilders.pdf

Extensive info on "how to do it right," or at least to state and Coast Guard standards. For instance, I learned that for "level flotation" for my boat, I need 8 cubic feet of foam for the hull, 11 cubic feet for the motor, batteries, fuel tank, etc., and 8 cubic feet for passenger and gear capacity.

Total of 27 cubic feet. The hull flotation needs to be under the deck. Motor flotation must be within 36 inches of the transom. Passenger and gear flotation is best above the water line, preferably in the gunwales.

Also learned that polystyrene, polyurethane, and polyethylene are equally good, except polystyrene must be kept away from gasoline and other chemicals. Styrene and urethane must be protected from light. I could use four Wal-Mart swim noodles under the gunwales to meet passenger flotation requirements, which would be really easy to install. I was wondering how to do that.

Anyway, there's a LOT of info in here that could help our members, and might prevent some unnecessary threads.

Maybe it could be downloaded and stored directly on this site, so it won't go away, and a Sticky made for it?