Boat and Motors - Concerns and Questions

shall36

Hello All,

New here and it's been over ten years since my last bass boat. Looking to pick one up used and I really am out of the loop when it comes to boats and motors.

I'm looking to spend up to $7,500 or so and have found that I can pick up an early to mid-1990's Ranger for that. Specifically, I've been looking at several 361V models. From what I can tell so far, it seems like that's a solid choice as a good fishing boat. I'm in Orlando and don't expect to fish many BIG lakes like Okechobee [sp?], but may hit some "rough" water from time to time. For the money, is this a solid choice? I've noticed that the same money would buy a newer Nitro or ProCraft, etc.

Also, I'm partial to Mercury motors as my first boat had a 115 Merc that just ran like a scalded ape. I also had a boat with a 150 Johnson that seemed to be a dog. In looking at some of these Rangers, I've noticed that the Johnson 150 Fast Strike is a popular motor as well as the 150 Mercury. Any opinions out there on which motor would likely provide the best mix of performance and durability? I know this is a loaded question :)

Specifically, one boat I'm looking at has a '96 Merc 150 ProMax with an XR6 lower unit. Apparently, the original gray unit blew up and was replaced with a unit off of an XR6. Is the ProMax prone to failure, either on the powerhead or lower unit? I appreciate the high performance and don't mind extra maintenance, but I don't want to pick up something that is much more likely than other motors to catastrophically fail.

Any insights would be appreciated!