For Your Information Only

S

Skeeter1

At the same time my Yamaha 150 hp. was giving me problems on idling /running, I had another major problem. This resulted to having no "brake lights" on my Tahoe. Last week...Saturday morning the 21st, I had the Skeeter rig all hooked to the Tahoe...6:a.m when my fishing partner arrived to head for the lake. I also have him to verify I have brake/road lights on the boat trailer. When I was testing all this, found I didn't have any brake lights on the Tahoe or the trailer. Ended up having to pull the boat rig with his 2003 Dodge Ram. The Tahoe went back into the garage for farther review.

After some checking on the SUV section of Chev/Tahoe forum, find that there are many, many people that have/had the same failure on their brake lights. It all point to the Multi-Function switch (aka malfunction switch) that houses the turn signals, dimmers, cruise control, wiper's, hazard, etc. that is attached to the steering column. Calling the local Chevrolet dealer on the problem...learn the part (mostly plastic) cost $263.00, plus $221.00 for labor to install a new one. Now that will frost your balls hearing that figure.
More checking on the INTERNET, find I can purchase the same part from 1A Auto for $85.95 with free shipping. Ordered one on Monday 23rd. Shipped same day by priority mail and it arrived on Wednesday. I was told by the dealer that the steering wheel, air bag, and ignition switch had to be removed before I could remove this...piece of plastic better known as the malfunction switch. And that I must have the GM special tools just for this replacement. Have BIG NEWS for all Mr. Good-Wrench people. I installed this high dollar plastic item in two hours, and DIDN'T have to remove the steering wheel, nor the air bag, nor the ignition switch. All is well now...have brake lights, and all the other items contained within this "high dollar" piece of plastic works very well... Thank you Chevy dealer.