Guide to Bass Boats

Revenant

Active Fisherman
I've seen a lot of questions about how much a Bass boat costs. The answer is always, and will always be, "it depends". Because of this, I wanted to put together a little guide for new comers to the Bass Boat world.

(Please don't be offended if I don't mention your brand of choice. I'm only going to name boats that I can give accurate pricing info on.)

Basic Bass Jon boats:
Fancy Bass style Jon boats like an Alumacraft Side Console Jon boats or the Tracker Grizzly series can range from $6,000 to $14,000 depending on size and load out. The 17 foot Alumcraft MV 1756AW SC costs about $13,000 and has a basic bass boat layout including live well. The Tracker Grizzly 14 costs about $7000 fully rigged. Lowe had the Roughneck series and now has the Frontiers. However, these are often not allowed in anything but local tournaments, and while built for durability, aren't nearly as fast or comfortable as a fiberglass bass boat. They are also tediously slow... (20 to 35mph)

Mid Range Aluminum Bass Boats: This is probably the most popular category of Bass Boats. They're built to be metal bass boats. That means they have carpet, rod lockers, consoles, live wells, and more features. 17 foot seems to be the popular size but you can find them as big 19 foot. They generally cost less than fiberglass counter parts of the same size, but give up performance (30 to 40MPH) and stability for less expensive. Usually they use a lot of molded plastic to save money. The best benefit is that they have a very shallow draft, are pretty durable, and require a lot less maintenance. Ranger, Triton, Tracker, Alumacraft, and many other make these boats. Examples include the Tracker 175TXW which runs between $16,000 and $18,000 depending on loadout, and the Lowe 17 Stinger which costs about $20,000 when I priced it out.

High End Aluminum Boats: There is basically one brand that comes to mind and that is Xpress. These boats range in size from 18 to 21 feet, and can have some pretty big engines on the back. They're designed to compete with high end fiberglass boats, but at a price range of $20,000 to $35,000. Speed wise they are fast (50 to 70MPH). However, they still are aluminum so they give up some fishing features in terms of storage, noise, and stability. Of course, they can get nice and shallow though. Bumping an aluminum boat on a rock makes a loud noise. Bumping a fiberglass rig causes the owner to have a heart attack.

Entry Level Fiberglass Bass Boats: This is a very thin domain now, but is basically owned by the Stratos 176 VLO / 176XT and the old Nitro X4 (Out of production). Priced around $15,000 to 16,000, they include usually a very small 50HP engine and cap off around 25 to 30MPH. Build quality wise, they are basic, but still usually a step above Mid Range Aluminum Bass boats. Their big benefit is the increased storage, stability, and comfort that fiberglass gives over aluminum. The down side is that these boats are simply under powered which means long plane times and top end between 25 to 35mph. They will also not get the same quality builds as a premium fiberglass boat. They'll have simpler consoles, livewells, plastics, and electronics. They're trailers are basic, and they're color choices are very limited. They are targeted at people who are looking at Mid Range Aluminums in the same price range. Also, they are not tournament legal is several competition circuits.

These are two promo videos from Stratos. Remember PROMO. They are only highlighting the benefits. But they do show a couple of the advantages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHeBjbmmmY0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYYTsK1D5Jg

Mid Range 17 foot Fiberglass Bass Boats: This is where it get interesting. Two boats immediately come to mind in this class. The first being the Nitro Z-6. The second being the Triton 17 Pro (formally Explorer). This is the first spot in our line up where you're going to see a boat that can be fully tournament rigged if necessary (with exception to the High End Aluminums). These boats in the 17 foot class will have price tags around $19,000 to $20,000, though I saw a brand new Triton go for $16K. They have most of the standard features of higher end boats, but sacrifice with single divided live wells, shorter warranties, cheaper materials, and less power. 115HP is the top end power wise, which puts you at roughly 50 MPH. However, keep in mind that these boats do not have the same level of customization as higher end boats. They also are usually built on older hull designs, and not to the standard as Premium Bass Boats. Most tournaments will allow them, but check the rules. You can build out a one of these for about $25K to include 24V trolling motors, Side Scan Sonar, and a Power Pole if you get a good deal.

I did a detailed long term review of my Nitro Z-6 if you want to see what fishing out of one is like.

Mid Range 18 Foot Fiberglass Bass Boats: Now we are having fun! This is the new magic price point boat, and are usually between $26K and $30K. These are usually big for their size, 18 foot bass boats capped at 150HP, or roughly 60MPH. Boats like the Triton Pro 18, Triton 18XS, Nitro Z-7, and Stratos 189 VLO. These boats can be rigged for full tournament service and are legal in almost every single tournament. However, the price balloons quickly if you start adding features. The Triton XS and VLO are probably the most feature packed, with the XS being a borderline Premium Bass Boat. Major League Fishing fishes out of Nitro Z-7s which would cost just about $30K to rig like they do. The down side is that most every option is ala carte, and the boats come pretty stripped to start with. They will get you on the water with no problem, but you have to think of them as packages to build on. Some use older hulls, while others are built with less material. There is still some cost cutting going on here.

Premium Bass Boats: This is the big leagues and the start at $30K and go to $70K depending on load out. Phoenix, Nitro, Skeeter, Ranger, Basscat, Legend, Stratos, and Triton all have models that qualify. Usually the only thing you choose option wise is how many power poles, how big the motor, and what electronics you want installed. Everything else is usually standard, and the standards a distinct step above the rest. Dual separate live wells with six pumps, higher end fiberglass and resins, very few plastics, high end trailers with brakes, flush mounting of huge graphs, and the list goes on and on. Some custom work may be allowed depending on the manufacture. Prices usually start mid 30s for an 18 foot, and add $5000 to $7000 for every foot above 18. A high spec 18 foot premium Bass boat with HDS graphs, high end trolling motor, Power Pole, and enough power to push it 70MPH comes in around $38 to $40K. When you get to the 20 and 21 foot boats you're looking at machines capable of 75MPH.

Race Boats Pretending to be Bass Boats but are Still Totally Awesome: I have no idea how much Allisons and LCBs cost but they are STUPID FAST! ;)