I'm in Love!

Dougw

Holy Crap Batman! What'a engine the XS is!

Got the engine hung Friday. Nothing, it seems, happens without "issues". Got there @ 9:15am.... left at 6:30pm. Had to run to Lousiania to get hub so we could mount prop.

Charile - All members of the XS family run the larger prop shaft and require the SS hub kit.

Light wind during early break-in. Building to 12-15mph gusting 20-25 during set-up. I'm at the dam on Toledo Bend with decent water on the southwest bank.

Out yesterday. Break in - again not with out "issues". I'm 45 mins. into the break-in and get "low oil" alert on smart gauge. I'm kinna thinkin' it's coming from the system link for the oil reserve in the rigging compartment. I have the wiring harness for the fuel and oil reservior but I don't yet have a sending unit for the oil tank. So.... I'm standing on the bow takin' a leak when the engine shuts off. I panic! Won't crank. Shouldn't ignore warnings.... Cell phone is useless - troll to ramp... load it up and head to Merc. dealer in Jasper. After driving about 30 miles I have cell service again. Contact dealer and they have little to offer. Get to marine dealer in Jasper, he puts it onna hose. Won't crank - he reaches in n' flips kill switch - vaRoooommm.... PFD must a shifted while I was leakin' on the bow... but at that time there was no wind... nothing. Anyway - all is well... back to lake.(Low oil warning is coming from the system link and was present all day - damn hard to ignore though)

OK... break-in complete. First pass - 26" trophy, prop shaft 3 feet below pad. Ok... it wasn't three feet but it was waaaay don't there. Before even making the first run I crank the plate up 3/4" of an inch based on what I learned durning break-in. Best pass with 26" was 74.3mph @ 5400. Water pressure 30+.

I know there's lots left so I bolt on the 27" and crank the plate up another 3/4" - 1". At this point I'm not measure as it's way low. Next pass 75.5 @ 5400 water pressure 30+.

Crank up plate another 3/4"-1". 76.7mph @ 5500rpm water pressure 29psi.

Crank up plate another 3/4"-1". 78.7mph @ 5600 rpm. Water pressure still in upper 20's(29 last I saw)

At this point I've run outta plate. The engine was mounted in the 3rd hole down.

On the last couple of passes the system link(2 1/8" gauge) water pressure gauge fails. It's OK though as I have digital readout on the SmartCraft tach. But... On the last couple of passes the wind was gusting pretty good and needless to say I had me a double handful of steering wheel. Reading water pressure was a pain because with the digital readout if anything changes the digital readout diplays the change briefly then goes back to the info selected. Welll.... with the wind n' occasional boat wake... I was tap dancin' on the trim buttons on a right regular basis.

On the last pass I was outta jack plate and called it a day. 'cides the wind was getting even worse and boat traffic was pickin' up. Went back to my sisters house and using trim and jack plate I "walked" the engine up to the last bolt hole(about 1 1/4") and lowered the plate to "about" where I was before moving the engine.

Weather conditions on last passes. Temp: 85 degrees, Barometric pressure: 30, Wind: A pain in the butt!

I had brought a 26" Fury but never bolted it on.

One of the main differences between the 2.5 ProMax and this XS that I noticed, other than the awsome amount of torque, was when shutting down after a pass one has to be pretty careful. On the 2.5 I could literally chop the throttle at full song. On the XS if I back off too rapidly the stern jumps about a foot to the port side. Had I "chopped" the throttle I'm sure I would have been a passenger on an "E" ticket ride.

The 209 absouletly loved the 12" plate. Minimum speed to plane 22mph tucked all the way under. No hint of porposing at all. Low speed operation very strongly resembled that with the Gerkin and the 2.5. With the 26" hole shot was almost instantanious - best I've ever seen on a Gambler w/o TAC. With the 27" it was very similar to the Gerkin with the 2.5 and a 26". No stop watch so I can't provide times but it was acceptable for me.

Heading back out. Wind: calm, temp:75 B/P: dropping. I'll be very surprised if I don't crack the 80mph nut today. Then with the 14mph Jay said he could get me with B&B'n the trophy.... you did say that- right Jay? Just kiddin'. The prop I've been runnin' is a "blue" demo prop. The blades have a pretty rough texture to hold the paint. But as far as bow lift and stern lift I'm pretty happy with what I've seen thus far and would be hard pressed to have more than B&B don't on the prop I get.