Let's talk "FIRST AID" (wounds)

egreen024

This past Saturday, August 29th, at the end of day was grabbing a fish out of live well and one of his bones from top fin went threw my finger and broke, bone was about an inch long and 1/4 inch was past the other end of finger, could not pull it back so had to pull it out the other end with my theet, So I decided my next topic would be first aid. Because of the vast information on first aid this one will be broken up in couple sections.

WOUNDS
Types
* Punctures- (Yeah I know) are holes produced by pointed objects such has bullets, nails, or sharp sticks. Surface bleeding may be minor , but hidden internal bleeding may occur if the puncture is deep. Infection is a concern since the wound is not easily cleaned.
*Incisions- are cuts such as would be produced by a knife or broken glass. Artewries and veins may be severed, so bleeding can be extensive. Extensive incisions require stitches to close the wound.
*Abrasions- Are a wearing away of the skin , as by sandpaper. Bleeding is usually minor, but wound should be cleaned.
*Lacerations- are irregular breaks in the skin- as opposed to incisions. Tissue damage is often greater than with incisions. Lacerations should be thoroughly cleansed and usually require stitches.
*Avulsions- are tearing away of the flesh, such as a thorn ear or severed limb. Bleeding are severed as well.

Stopping bleeding
* Direct pressure is the preferred method for a nonprofessional. Object is to stop or slow bleeding by compressing vein or arteries against muscle or bone. The wound should be covered with a sterile bandage or clean cloth when possible, while the pressure is being apply. If bandage becomes soaked, do not remove the pressure until bleeding stops.
* Elevation of the wounded part reduces the blood pressure and rate of bleeding. It is not a substitute for direct pressure.
* Arterial pressure is pressure applied directely to an artery where it passes over a bone. Inside upper arm, midway between shoulder and elbow, and between biceps and triceps muscles, inside the thigh at middle of the crease of the groin are main points for pressure. Since pressure at this points cuts off blood flow to the entire arm or leg, it should be used only when direct pressure and elevation prove insufficient.
* Tourniquets are bands of cloth tightened around a limb just above a wound to stop all blood flow. Releasing pressure on a tourniquet resumes blood flow and may actually increase the chances of shock and death. They are, thus, last resort measures where the decision is to risk losing the limb to save the life.

Removing foreign objects
* Splinters are normally more irritants than dangerous. Remove shallow splinters with seterilized teweezers or needles. Deep splinters should only be removed by a doctor.
* Fish hooks may be simply backed out if the barb has not engaged.If barb is deep , however, the least damage is usually caused by pushing it out the other side, clipping it off, then backing the hook out. Tetanus shot should be given for the latter case.
* large objects that are deepely embedded- even knives should not be removed. Immobilize the object and rush to the hospital. While in place they likely minimize internal bleeding.

Preventing Infection
* Cleansing the wound is the most important step in preventing infection. Flush the wound opening it wide with running tap water. Blot the wound dry with sterile gauze and cover with a sterile bandage.
* Symptoms of an infected wound include: redness,swelling of the area, tenderness or pain, pus draining from the wound and elevated temperature (fever).
* Infected wounds require the attention of a doctor. Until then, immobilize and elevate the wound and apply dry or wet heat to the area, 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off.